North Korea says talks with Pompeo were 'regrettable'

09 July, 2018, 04:11 | Author: Diane Mills
  • Mike Pompeo addresses the media before boarding his plane at Sunan International Airport in Pyongyang

When a reporter asked Pompeo if he brought up satellite images seeming to suggest some nuclear facilities are expanding, the Secretary of State said North Korea and the USA are "equally committed" to denuclearization.

North Korea, however, poured cold water on the talks, saying the "attitude" of the United States was "regrettable" and not in the spirit of the June 12 summit in Singapore between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

North Korea's angry reaction to the talks with Pompeo came in a Foreign Ministry statement that berated the Secretary over his "unilateral and gangster-like" demands and for offering no constructive steps on the United States side.

That change raised suspicion that the USA was softening its demands for the country, an argument that State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert had insisted on Friday wasn't true.

"Clearly, we see some posturing particularly from the North Korean side using the leverage that they have, especially in the lead-up to Trump's visit to NATO and his big summit with [Russian President] Vladimir Putin in the coming week", said Hilary Mann Leverett, a former White House official.

According to the spokesman, during the talks with Pompeo, North Korea raised the issue of a possible declaration to formally end the 1950-53 Korean war, which concluded with an armistice and not a peace treaty.

Nauert said Pompeo's discussions with North Korean officials also included repatriation of American Korean War remains.

Chinese President Xi Jinping attended the WEF meeting in Davos last year, and US President Donald Trump attended it this year.

The North's statement, coming so soon after Pompeo's trip, was sure to fuel growing skepticism in the US over how serious Kim Jong Un is about giving up his nuclear arsenal.

More news: US plan to end Iranian oil exports ‘a fantasy’: Rouhani

The North's statement, coming so soon after Pompeo's trip, was sure to fuel growing skepticism in the USA over how serious Kim is about giving up his nuclear arsenal.

A letter from Kim to Trump was also delivered to Pompeo through Kim Yong Chol, a top North Korean party official and former spy agency chief, who was Pompeo's interlocutor and played a key role together in arranging the Singapore summit. He is due to meet officials from allies South Korea and Japan in Tokyo also on Sunday.

Earlier rumors during the week stated the State Department's objectives in North Korea had changed and that the Sec. of State may be willing to forgo complete denuclearization. "Other places, there's still more work to be done".

Pompeo did not meet with North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un during his trip this week.

The task of establishing the disarmament programme now falls to Pompeo, who is seeking a formal declaration by the North of the size of its nuclear programme as well as an eventual timetable for it to be ended under worldwide verification and inspection.

In comparison to past worldwide nuclear disarmament negotiations, the discussions between Washington and Pyongyang on thawing ties and dismantling the North's arsenal appear to be proceeding in reverse.

The day began with Mr Pompeo and Kim Yong-chol both saying there were things to "clarify". But he stressed that "there's still more work to be done" in other areas, much of which would be done by working groups that the two sides have set up to deal with specific issues.

Saturday saw Nauert say discussions had also involved the issue of the repatriation of USA service members who died during the Korean War. South Korean news outlet, The Chosun Ilbo, referred to an unconfirmed "source in Washington" which stated that the "Rocket Man" CD came up in conversation during the historic summit, after Trump learned Kim had never heard the hit song.

Recommended:



Popular

Las Vegas Releases Early Odds For Daniel Cormier-Brock Lesnar Superfight
Miocic, of Cleveland, landed a handful of right hands in the fight, but Cormier's hand speed stood out. He lost the title in 2010 to Cormier's friend and training partner Cain Velasquez .

Four cave boys safe, rescue set to resume
After more than two weeks trapped in a dark cave , eight boys and their soccer coach are waiting their turn for the risky escape. Narongsak said, and had managed to drain the water level in the cave considerably, but needed to move fast.

USA has 'launched the largest trade war in economic history': China
The Trump administration contends that China has deployed predatory tactics in a push to overtake U.S. technological dominance. The newspaper quoted observers as saying there was "anecdotal evidence" of a build-up in sanctions against U.S. businesses.

'Ant-Man and the Wasp' is a great palate cleanser
He's ready to come back up, and starts the countdown. only Janet, Hank, and Hope aren't receiving his messages. The first scene comes midway through the credits and is connected to " Avengers: Infinity War ".

Lewis Hamilton: 'Insane' Silverstone as bumpy as the Nordschleife
I hope it is not a title decider, but I can't predict what is happening going forward. 'Everyone in the team will feel a nervousness.

Netflix testing new Ultra subscription tier
Netflix is testing a new plan for users in Europe, a higher £16.99 plan that checks out as higher than its 13.99 Premium Plan. Some users who are subscribed to the Standard "HD" plan were also restricted to a single stream, according to Phone Arena .

Heat warning, thunderstorm watch continue overnight
An extended heat warning issued by the city's medical officer of health on Sunday remains in effect. Premila D'Sa is a breaking news reporter, working out of the Star's radio room in Toronto.

Will Amy Coney Barrett be Trump's Supreme Court pick?
They were the only Democrats to do so. "There is no ambivalence on abortion as men and women dig in and say, 'Hands off Roe v. Though the court said park rangers had violated his free speech rights, the case was not about the right to abortion itself.

Rockets' Paul to stay put with four-year max contract
According to ESPN , the nine-time All-Star will re-sign with Houston for four years and $160 million. Paul, James Harden and Co. should be one of the league's two to three best teams in 2018-19.

Former Malaysia leader charged with breach of trust, corruption
Najib, who was allowed bail of RM1 million in two sureties in cash, was also ordered to surrender his passports. New Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad reopened investigations into 1MDB that were stifled under Najib's rule.